Corporate Counsel - New Gold Inc.October 14, 2020
Corporate Counsel Lawyer Job in Toronto, Canada
Our client, New Gold Inc., is a Canadian-focused intermediate gold mining company engaged in the operation, development, and exploration of mineral properties. The Company’s mission is to be a leading intermediate gold producer, driving responsible and profitable mining in a way that creates sustainable enduring value for their shareholders, stakeholders, and the environment.
New Gold has a portfolio of two core producing assets in Canada, the Rainy River and New Afton Mines. The Company also holds an 8% gold stream on the Artemis Gold Blackwater project located in British Columbia and a 6% equity stake in Artemis. The Company also operates the Cerro San Pedro Mine in Mexico (in reclamation).
Job Description – Corporate Counsel Lawyer
Due to ongoing growth, our client is seeking to add a Corporate Counsel to its team in Toronto. The ideal candidate will have four to eight years of strong corporate, commercial, securities and ideally some mining experience at a leading firm and/or company. Reporting to the General Counsel and working closely with Management and various business units, this is a broad legal role for a business savvy lawyer to join a growing and successful company, offering competitive compensation and professional growth.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Assist various business units with a variety of commercial law, corporate governance, securities law, and corporate development and financing matters.
- Manage legal issues and negotiate commercial agreements with procurement teams at the operations.
- Assist with negotiating agreements with First Nations.
- Prepare and review commercial form agreements.
- Prepare annual information form and assist with preparations for AGM, information circular, and disclosure matters including press releases.
- Assist in the preparation of corporate governance board materials.
- Assist in the preparation and review of corporate policies.
- Assist in M&A transactions and equity and debt financing transactions.
- Negotiate confidentiality agreements and other agreements as required.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 4-8 years of broad corporate commercial experience at a leading firm or company.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Eager to grow and learn.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
When you choose to work with The Counsel Network, you are aligning with Canada's most powerful, respected, connected and trusted lawyer recruitment firm. Our recruiters possess an unparalleled knowledge of the legal market and provide our clients with robust, compelling and always current analyses empowering them to make decisions based on their business objectives and recruitment needs. Our success in the Canadian market is rooted in our passion, our talent, and our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. We have earned our reputation of outstanding service and professionalism.