Alison Hayman Joins Cassels BrockJuly 17, 2013
Alison Hayman is an associate in the Intellectual Property Group at Cassels Brock in Toronto. She is also a Registered Trade-mark Agent.
Alison advises clients on the protection, enforcement and licensing of all forms of intellectual property, with a focus on trade-marks, copyright, trade secrets and domain names. She has significant experience with the acquisition, protection and enforcement of trade-mark rights in Canada and elsewhere, and regularly provides opinions on the availability of new trade-marks and helps clients secure trade-mark registrations in Canada and around the world. Alison also conducts trade-mark opposition proceedings before the Canadian Intellectual Property Offices Opposition Board and advises on infringement matters for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Representative examples of Alisons experience include:
- Acting as intellectual property counsel to a Canadian technology company in connection with its acquisition by an American-based global technology company
- Representing a Canadian publisher in an appeal to the Federal Court of a decision of the Trade-marks Opposition Board, in which the publisher had been successful
- Negotiating film, television and book publishing agreements around the world for the estate of a Canadian author
- Acting as intellectual property counsel to a print and online vertical media company in its acquisition by Canada’s largest directory publisher
- Advising Canada’s largest directory publisher on intellectual property law matters in the completion of its $760 million acquisition of a leading Canadian provider of classified publications from one of the largest classified advertising companies in the world
- Advising one of Canada’s largest telecommunications firms in the areas of trade-marks and domain names
- Managing the domain name portfolio of a Canadian publishing company and negotiating domain name disputes and acquisitions relating to the portfolio
- Managing the trade-mark portfolio of a nutritional supplements manufacturer and helping protect the company’s brands against online infringers
- Advising advertisers on ambush marketing issues related to Olympic advertising
Alison also assists with the protection of copyright, confidential information and trade secrets. She frequently drafts non-disclosure agreements and advises on ownership, assignment and confidentiality provisions of employment and independent contractor agreements.
Alison has extensive experience with the licensing of all forms of intellectual property, including co-branding agreements, sponsorship agreements, publishing agreements and pharmaceutical licensing. She regularly advises on the intellectual property aspects of corporate transactions and has significant experience with the technology sector.
Alison received her LL.B. at the University of Victoria and her LL.M. at the London School of Economics. She also holds an undergraduate degree in Economics from Mount Allison University.
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
University of Victoria
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice