Cassels Brock Announces Raivo Uukkivi as a New PartnerApril 8, 2015
Cassels Brock is proud to announce that Raivo Uukkivi has become a Partner of the firm.
Raivo’s practice is focused on advocacy. He acts for a broad range of private and public sector clients. His emphasis is on developing and implementing practical, time-saving resolutions to conflict, particularly in complex disputes.
Raivo advises on decisions or actions that are impacted by municipal law or otherwise arise from the development, use and ownership of land. This includes land use planning and development, property and title disputes, environmental disputes, green energy projects, municipal by-law challenges, municipal conflicts of interest, elections disputes, municipal taxation, archaeological matters and freedom of information requests. He is regularly engaged in construction- and infrastructure-related litigation, specializing in matters involving municipalities.
He was counsel in the following reported cases:
- Tiny (Township) v Battaglia, 2013 ONCA 274, 31 RPR (5th) 1, 228 ACWS (3d) 269.
- Meaford (Municipality) v Grist, 2013 ONCA 124, 304 OAC 371, 7 MPLR (5th) 177, 223 ACWS (3d) 1044, 2013 CarswellOnt 2026
- Cusimano v Toronto (City) (2011), 82 MPLR (4th) 263 (ONSC)
- Holyday v Toronto (City) (2010), 265 OAC 109 (Div Ct), 74 MPLR (4th) 194
- Jackson v Vaughan (City) (2010), 68 MPLR (4th) 161 (Ont CA)
Some of Raivo’s other experience includes:
- S.A. Armstrong Limited v Toronto (Committee of Adjustment), PL130706, September 30, 2013 (OMB)
- 2319839 Ontario Inc v Municipal Property Assessment Corp, Region No. 31,  OARBD No 175
- Gunn v Halton District School Board,  OJ No 2972
- Mullen v. Wasaga Beach (Town),  OMBD No 191
- Chambers v Prince (Township),  OJ No 6376
- Brampton (City) v Brar,  OJ No 5518, 2011 ONSC 7156
- Aubrey et al v Prince (Township), 2011 ONSC 5944
- The Corporation of the Municipality of Meaford v Grist et al, 2011 ONSC 5195
- Stephen Kotyck & Partap Duo v Returning Officer for Town of Markham, 2010 ONSC 7221 (SCJ)
- Ontario Pork Producers’ Marketing Board v Hunter, 2010 ONSC 2622, supplementary reasons at 2010 ONSC 6841 and 2011 ONSC 841 (SCJ)
- Zver v Aurora (Town),  OMBD No 695
- Hancock v Wasaga Beach (Town),  OMBD No 587
- Hancock v Wasaga Beach (Town),  OMBD No 271
- Brown v Bracebridge (Town),  OMBD No 119
Raivo appears before all levels of court in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal. He acts as lead trial counsel before the Superior Court of Justice and appears before tribunals in Ontario, with emphasis on advocacy before the Ontario Municipal Board.
Raivo also prosecutes and defends charges under statutes that govern municipal and land use planning law. This includes prosecutions under the Planning Act, Environmental Protection Act, Green Energy Act, Niagara Escarpment Planning and Development Act, Building Code Act and the Fire Protection and Prevention Act. During one of his mandates, Raivo acted as the prosecutor for a major municipality in Ontario.
Raivo speaks regularly to various councils, staff, associations and groups on topical issues concerning municipal, development and construction law. He is a regular contributor to Carswell’s Legal Alert for their municipal law and land use planning section. He is an instructor for sections of the Construction Law course at George Brown College, and for several years has acted as a judge in the Lerners Cup advocacy competition at the University of Western Ontario. Raivo also acts as an advisor to the Healthy Food Bank, an organization whose mandate is to deliver healthy, perishable foods to people in need throughout North America.
Raivo also speaks Estonian.
To learn more about Raivo, please visit http://www.casselsbrock.com/People/Raivo_Uukkivi.
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
University of Western Ontario
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice