Matthew Peters Joins Cassels BrockFebruary 20, 2013
Matthew Peters is a partner in the Tax Group at Cassels Brock, where he advises on tax issues associated with international tax planning, domestic and cross?border mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, corporate finance, and various other tax matters. Matthew represents clients across various industries including manufacturing, financial services, telecommunications, natural resources and technology. He has also represented clients before the Tax Court of Canada and the Federal Court of Appeal, with particular emphasis on tax treaty disputes.
Matthews experience includes acting as:
- Counsel to Osisko Mining Corporation in its proposed $550 million acquisition of Queenston Mining Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Counsel to Argonaut Gold Inc., a Canadian gold company engaged in exploration, mine development and production activities in Mexico, in its $341 million business combination with Prodigy Gold Inc. by way of plan of arrangement
- Canadian counsel to TerreStar Networks Inc. in connection with its CCAA recognition proceedings of TerreStar’s chapter 11 cases
- Counsel to the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Aeroquest International Limited in its business combination with Geotech Ltd.
- Canadian counsel to lead Canadian agent in connection with equity and bond offerings by Northland Resources S.A. in Canada, Europe and the United States for aggregate gross proceeds of approximately US$325 million
- Canadian counsel to US Gold Corporation on its acquisition by plan of arrangement of Minera Andes Inc. with a transaction value at the time of closing of approximately CDN $1.4 billion for the combined company, which was renamed McEwen Mining Inc.
- Counsel to Sprott Resource Lending Partnership with respect to $72 million senior secured notes financing for North American Palladium Ltd.
- Counsel to Adamus Resources Limited with respect to its $313 million combination by way of a scheme of arrangement with Endeavour Mining Corporation
- Counsel to Premier Gold Mines Limited with respect to its $104 million acquisition of Goldstone Resources Inc.
- Counsel to the Special Committee of Augen Gold Corp. with respect to the unsolicited take-over bid and subsequent approximately $63 million supported offer by Trelawney Mining and Exploration Inc.
- Counsel to Stillwater Mining Company in connection with its US$487 million acquisition of Peregrine Metals Ltd. by way of a plan of arrangement
- Canadian Counsel to Central Fund of Canada Limited in connection with the MJDS offering of Class A shares valued at US$360 million
- Canadian counsel to US Gold Corporation on its cross-border offering of approximately US$112 million of its common stock
- Counsel to Teledyne Technologies Incorporated on its $337 million acquisition of DALSA Corporation
- Counsel to Lexam Explorations Inc. in respect of its combination with VG Gold Corp. to form Lexam VG Gold Inc. through a plan of arrangement
- Represented Norsemont Mining Inc. in connection with the $520 million acquisition by HudBay Minerals Inc. of all of the outstanding common shares of Norsemont by way of formal take-over bid
- Counsel to Marengo Mining Limited on its completion of a best efforts offering valued at $63.25 million
- Counsel to DragonWave Inc. on its $9.5 million acquisition of Axerra Networks, Inc., a leader in pseudowire technology
- Counsel to Perilya Ltd. on its $184 million take-over bid for GlobeStar Mining Corporation
- Counsel to Marengo Mining Limited on the completion of important public offering valued at CDN $20.16 million
- Counsel to Osisko Mining Corporation on its $372 million acquisition of Brett Resources Inc. by way of take-over bid
- Counsel to IAMGOLD Corporation on its $275 million acquisition of Orezone Resources Inc. (2009)
- Counsel to IAMGOLD Corporation on a $345 million public offering of common shares
- Counsel to New Gold Inc. on the US$1.6 billion business combination with Metallica Resources Inc. and Peak Gold Ltd.
- The Queen v. Prévost Car Inc., 2009 FCA 57
- Successfully represented Prévost Car Inc. before the Federal Court of Appeal
- Knights of Columbus v. The Queen, 2008 TCC 307
- Counsel to the syndicate of underwriters on a $55 million offering by Moto Goldmines Limited
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
Canadian Tax Foundation
New York State Bar Association
American Bar Association (Tax Section)
LL.M., New York University, 2003
LL.B. (Special Concentration in Taxation), University of Western Ontario, 2001
B.S.S., University of Ottawa, 1998
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
University of Western Ontario/New York University
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice