Morris Chochla Campaigning for BencherMarch 18, 2015
During the last four years I was a member of the executive of the Ontario Bar Association, serving as its President in 2012-2013. During my tenure I was involved in many of the significant issues facing the Law Society. These included the debate over the continuance of the Parental Leave Assistance Program, the change from OLAP to MAP, the alternative to articling, the establishment of the Law Practice Program, the Treasurer’s access to justice initiative, and most recently, the work on alternative business structures. I have demonstrated a long-term commitment to serving our profession and welcome the opportunity to continue to do so, as a Bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada. I invite you to contact me with respect to your views on the issues facing our profession.
My major concerns relate to:
1) Lawyers’ advertising: ensuring it is “demonstrably true, accurate and verifiable” and is “neither misleading, confusing, or deceptive, nor likely to mislead, confuse or deceive”;
2) Alternative business structures: a cautious approach including consideration of concerns expressed by OTLA and other lawyer organizations;
3) Transparency to lawyers and the public in everything the LSUC does;
4) Access to justice: regulating in a manner to facilitate access to justice;
5) County and District Libraries: modernization and funding;
6) Pro bono activities and funding: support and consideration of a levy.
For more information on my background and these issues please visit my website at www.morrischochla.com.
I hope I can count on your support this spring.
Morris (Moe) Chochla
Forbes Chochla LLPwww.forbeschochla.com
The firm was founded in 1998 by Stuart Forbes and Morris Chochla. As an insurance litigation boutique, Forbes Chochla LLP specializes in the defence of a wide range of legal matters, including medical malpractice, professional liability, environmental liability, regulatory matters, directors’ and officers’ liability, and many other types of claims.The firm continues to grow, but maintains the high standard of service and skill on which it was created. The lawyers at Forbes Chochla LLP approach claims from every possible angle, and understand the needs of both the insurer and the insured. This allows them to develop a strategy for every case, but also gives them the flexibility to change that strategy as required.
Forbes Chochla LLP
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice