Wendy Berman Joins Cassels BrockJune 28, 2012
Wendy practises commercial litigation with an emphasis on securities-related litigation and regulatory matters. She acts as counsel in a wide range of matters involving shareholders remedies, litigation aspects of take-over bids and other acquisitions, registrants duties, corporate governance (including directors and officers liability), securities class actions and various other proceedings before the courts and securities regulators.
Wendy has extensive experience dealing with Canadian securities regulators and provides strategic advice and representation to market participants in parallel civil, regulatory and criminal proceedings relating to securities laws violations, including cross-border proceedings. She focuses on early assessment of mandates and draws on her extensive experience with securities regulators and the courts to effectively and efficiently implement the best outcome for her clients.
Wendy’s experience includes:
- Representing issuers in securities class proceedings involving allegations of improper stock option backdating and allegations of improper market timing
- Representing senior officers in cross-border criminal and regulatory proceedings involving financial disclosure violations
- Representing a public company target in hostile takeover bid litigation
- Representing the special committee of a board of directors in litigation arising from a related party bid
- Representing a market participant in regulatory and civil proceedings from the recent credit crisis fallout
Wendy is recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Securities Law by Best Lawyers in Canada. In 2010 and 2011, Wendy received the International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award for exceptional legal work and client service in the category of Litigation in Canada. She is also ranked in the 2012 edition of Chambers Global in the area of Dispute Resolution: Ontario and in the 2012 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the area of Securities Litigation.
The Best Lawyers in Canada 2009-2012 (Securities)
International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Award 2011 and 2012
Chambers Global 2012 (Dispute Resolution: Ontario)
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2012 (Securities Litigation)
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
The Advocates’ Society
Toronto Lawyers Association
Women’s Law Association of Ontario
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
University of Toronto
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice