Counsel, General Counsel's OfficeOctober 31, 2019
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes), one of Canada’s largest and most successful law firms, has an opportunity for a senior legal professional to join the General Counsel’s Office as Counsel. This national position is based in our Toronto office. Blakes will consider flexible working arrangements.
Reporting to the General Counsel, this role will work closely with the General Counsel and Firm management in managing risk, including conflicts management, compliance, insurance and other legal risks on behalf of the Firm.
Primary responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
– Facilitating conflicts resolution with Partners and Firm management and in accordance with Firm policies
– Advising Firm members on professional liability matters
– Coordinating and managing outside counsel for legal issues, as needed
– Providing support on Firm insurance matters
– Advising Firm members on ethics, conduct and other professional responsibility issues
– Providing support on records management matters including document retention matters
– Developing and reviewing Firm policies in response to evolving risk and compliance issues (including cyber related issues)
– Reviewing, analyzing and advising on compliance matters and regulatory changes
– Providing professional development training on risk management issues
– Supporting special projects as required
- LL.B./J.D. is required
- 7+ years experience as a practising lawyer in a corporate/commercial practice, preferably from a large firm or in-house legal department
- Background in litigation or litigation management is considered an asset but not required
- Ability to demonstrate strategic pragmatism
- Strong drafting, negotiating and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively with various stakeholders across the Firm
- Solution-oriented mindset
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to build rapport
How to Apply:
Please submit a complete application package with your cover letter, résumé and transcripts (undergraduate and law school) directly to our online application portal by clicking submit application or by visiting https://joinblakes.com/careers/ to the attention of Mary Jackson, Chief Officer, Professional Resources.
Blakes wishes to thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Who We Are:
At Blakes, we care about our people. We are committed to providing exceptional experiences for not only our clients, but also our employees by fostering an open and inclusive workplace culture. As a winner of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and Greater Toronto’s Top Employers awards, we understand the importance of fostering an environment that brings out the best in each person. Our success as a firm starts with the hiring, development and retention of top talent.
Blakes welcomes applications from all qualified applicants. The Firm is committed to maintaining an inclusive work environment comprised of people with diverse perspectives, backgrounds, identities and cultures.
The Firm provides accommodation for applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in accordance with applicable laws. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP (Blakes) is a leading business law firm with offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver, New York, London, Bahrain and Beijing. Serving a diverse national and international client base, our integrated office network provides clients with access to the Firm’s full spectrum of capabilities in virtually every area of business law. Whether an issue is local or multi-jurisdictional, practice-area specific or interdisciplinary, Blakes handles transactions of all sizes and levels of complexity. We also focus on building long-term relationships with clients by providing unparalleled client service and the highest standard of legal advice, always informed by the business context. More information on Blakes is available by visiting the Firm's website at www.blakes.com or by following us on Twitter @BlakesLaw.