Director of Business Development and MarketingNovember 23, 2022
We are currently seeking a Director of Business Development and Marketing to join our team in the Toronto Office.
More About Us
With approximately 120 lawyers, Hicks Morley is the leading law firm in Canada focusing on the representation of Management in Human Resources Law and Advocacy, celebrating our 50th year serving our clients. Labour and Employment Law is the foundation of our firm’s growth— the depth and scope of our expertise in Human Resources Law is the Hicks Morley advantage. Hicks Morley is a rapidly growing firm and we have five offices in Ontario: the main office is located in Toronto, and regional offices located in Kingston, London, Ottawa, and Waterloo.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director of Business Development and Marketing (BD&M) is responsible for initiating, supporting, and iterating on a wide range of business development initiatives focussed on growing the firm’s revenue and client base. The Director, BD&M leads the firm’s business development and marketing function and manages a team that provides timely, practical and cost-effective support to the firm’s growth mandate. Grounded in an understanding of the professional services industry and the clients we serve, the ideal candidate will be a highly organized, persistent, creative, and results-oriented leader with an exceptional client service mindset.
- Support the firm and individual lawyers through the development, implementation and communication of a robust business development strategy and associated programs;
- Lead a change management effort relating to the BD strategy across the firm using a variety of tactics, including leveraging the influence of the Executive Committee (EC) and the COO;
- Work with practice and sector group leaders along with regional office leads to develop and execute business plans, and monitor success and improvement opportunities against these plans;
- Oversee the continued successful execution of the firm’s integrated marketing and communications plans (e.g. website, email marketing campaigns, social media presence, etc.) and recommend regular improvements to these plans;
- Manage all members of the business development and marketing team with a focus on continuous improvement and superior internal customer service;
- Oversee the continuous improvement of data quality and integrity of the firm’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system;
- Oversee the firm’s business development and marketing budget, the events calendar, and assess the effectiveness of business development and marketing initiatives;
- Proactively identify opportunities to cross-market to existing firm clients and new client prospects;
- Compile, coordinate and update submissions for various award and ranking opportunities (Best Lawyers, Chambers, Lexpert, etc.);
- Oversee the development and maintenance of client-facing materials, including updates to lawyer biographies, practice and sector info-sheets, and client toolkits;
- Build and maintain relationships with media outlets and work to obtain article placements, lawyer quotes, and related press regarding the firm’s lawyers and areas of practice;
- Attend practice and sector group meetings to continuously learn about new opportunities, develop initiatives and provide updates on other business development plans and activities;
- Oversee and administer sponsorship opportunities including developing the messaging, design and production of the firm’s sponsorship advertisements; and
- Review news and announcements for the firm’s website and social media.
- A university degree in marketing, communications or commerce, or another discipline coupled with adequate relevant experience;
- Minimum of ten (10) years of business development and marketing experience within the professional services industry, ideally in the legal sector;
- Proven track record of developing, communicating and delivering robust business development programs;
- Strong leadership and communication skills ;
- Excellent knowledge of standard Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint); and
- Working knowledge of WordPress, Mailchimp, SurveyMonkey and Lexis Nexis Interaction CRM system is considered an asset.
- Exceptional client service and time management skills;
- Self-starter who understands how to motivate others and leads by example;
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize multiple projects, is accountable and goal-oriented;
- Ability to write and/or draft Request for Proposal (RFP) responses;
- Highly organized with impeccable attention to detail and proofreading abilities;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with colleagues, internal clients and external vendors, as well as strong written communication skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to get actively involved in all aspects of the work performed by the business development and marketing team in a “get it done” environment.
Please send your resumes to:
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume to:
Chief Operating Officer
All Hicks Morley employees are required to be fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine
series, approved by Health Canada, as a condition of hire, subject to any accommodations under the Human Rights Code. Should you be the successful candidate you will be required to comply with the firm’s mandatory vaccination policy that is in effect.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Every firm has a culture, and ours is no exception. We work in the human resources area, so we are ‘people’ people. We have a very diverse client base, from manufacturers to social service agencies – and are passionate about understanding our clients, their businesses, and their needs.
Hicks Morley is an open and respectful workplace which fosters creativity, legal innovation and excellence in our clients’ interests. We are committed to recruiting and hiring the best candidates for all roles, and from diverse backgrounds and experiences. Upon request, Hicks Morley will provide suitable accommodations during the recruitment and hiring process to candidates with accessibility needs due to disability.
With over 120 lawyers, we are a leading law firm in Canada representing employers on human resources and advocacy issues. Our role as a firm is to help clients effectively manage their workplace in a manner that best suits their organization's needs.