Employment & Labour LawyerFebruary 8, 2024
Need a change in 2024 after your decade of legal practice? Looking for an innovative, collaborative and creative employment & labour law firm to put down your lawyer roots?
Come join SpringLaw! We are a growing, busy group of smart, tech-forward employment & labour lawyers looking to add to our team. We serve both employers and employees in a wide range of industries, from tech to landscaping to finance.
If you are a lawyer with at least 8-10 years of employment law experience looking for a high-impact position with an established platform to grow your practice, SpringLaw might be for you!
What Sets Us Apart
- SpringLaw is a virtual employment law boutique whose purpose and passion is to disrupt old-school law for an amazing client journey.
- We have been remote workers since day 1. The firm was founded in April 2017 on a paperless and virtual model with a tech and cloud-based infrastructure to thrive in our new online environment.
- We have lots of collaborative systems to keep us all connected, including daily watercooler chats on our internal channels, recurring and deliberate 1:1 mentoring and office hour meetings, weekly team file strategy review, and our in-preson quarterly meet-ups and annual all-team strategy retreat.
- We are an equity-seeking employer and we operate with an anti-oppression mindset. We maintain awareness of and remain sensitive to structural oppression/privilege at work and in the communities we serve.
- Location: Ontario, with a preference for coverage in Ottawa, Kingston or Barrie. Your work will be remote with the exception of occasional in-person client legal proceedings, and 4 scheduled all-team meet-ups a year.
- Salary: $150,000 – $240,000 (depends on your year of call, applicable experience and your hourly billing rate) plus client origination bonuses.
- Benefits: full range of health & dental; DB pension plan, education allowance and learning & development experiences; generous paid sick days & vacation, pregnancy leave top-up.
What You’ll Do
We serve both employer and employee clients in a wide range of solicitor and litigation workplace law issues, including contract reviews, disability management, discrimination and harassment claims, workplace investigations, M&A employment matters and termination claims and litigation. This is a high-impact client-facing role, and your input to the firm, to our mission and to our clients will be felt directly.
What You’ll Bring
We are looking for someone collaborative, creative, forward-thinking, tech-enthusiastic and who enjoys working in an entrepreneurial environment. Our ideal Lawyer:
- 8-10 years of employment and labour law work with client-facing practice management experience and the ability to ground every legal solution in real life; a preference for solicitor employer advising work is preferred.
- Ideally you’ll bring at least a partial book of business.
- Collaborate effortlessly with other lawyers on our team, while comfortably working independently in our virtual environment. Though we often work independently, we use a shared system and always avoid silos – everyone must roll up their sleeves and simply ask “How can I help the client and our team?”.
- Demonstrated skills in mentoring junior lawyers and team leadership, with above-average communication skills to support our virtual team building.
- Demonstrated skills in client and business development.
- Shared values for how you want to help clients: see our Client Values Manifesto.
- A relentless growth mindset always seeking to innovate and improve workflows, legal knowledge, lawyer skills and client services, all without old-school prima donna high-admin support needs.
- A tech-savvy, forward-thinking and bold outlook on the future of law and how to solve peoples’ legal problems today and in 20 years.
- Grit, work hard ethic and an instinctive focus on getting the client’s problem solved in a cost-effective and profitable manner.
- Practical business instincts on billable targets and the business of law.
- Proficiency in Clio, Google and Asana, with a deep growth mindset for learning new software as the firm continues to grow and evolve.
- A desire to join a team long-term, where you belong, grow and become core to the firm’s fabric;
- A connection with your community, friends and family while working hard for clients – it doesn’t need to be one over the other. You’ll be a better lawyer for it.
- And finally … we are a group of innovative individuals with can-do attitudes. We are kind to each other and we all help out wherever we can. We have fun and we’re respectful no matter how busy we get. We avoid egos and “brilliant jerks”. Our collaborative culture is in our firm’s DNA. We’re looking for someone aligned with our firm’s core values who will be a positive and creative addition to our team!
How to Apply
If you are qualified to practice law in Canada and meet 80% or more of the ideal requirements:
- send an email to email@example.com, addressed to Amanda Termeulen and
- attach your resume.
What about a cover letter?
- We’d prefer a 60-second video introducing yourself and letting us know something that stood out to you in this post that made you say “This is for me” as well as something role or company-related you’re interested in learning more about.
The deadline for applications is February 22, 2024.
SpringLaw is an equity-seeking organization. People who identify as being from marginalized communities, including Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people identifying as 2SLGBTQ+, and people from low-income backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply. Disability-related accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in our hiring process. Please contact Amanda Termeulen at firstname.lastname@example.org with your needs or any questions you have about this.
What to Expect
- Selected candidates will be invited to a first-round interview. Following that, selected candidates will be invited to a second and possibly third interview.
- Candidates taking part in the full interview process will meet a mix of operations and legal services team members and will be asked to take at least 2 personality skills tests (costs covered by the firm).
- To help with the efficiency of the process, there will likely be two interviewers in each session.
- All interviews will be online via Google Meets.
- We are expecting – ideally – that we will be extending an offer of employment to our new Lawyer in March 2024.
Trusted virtual counsel wherever your workplace. Representing employers and executives, SpringLaw embraces technology for automating what it can in the backend of the office, so that we can focus on the complicated and often messy human relationships and legal issues of the workplace.