Counsel UnderwritingFebruary 7, 2020
As the Canadian Division of Stewart, one of the largest title insurers in the world, we provide residential and commercial title insurance, while offering comprehensive service, deep expertise and solutions to help our customers close their real estate transactions with peace of mind.
A Counsel Underwriting with our Underwriting Department in Toronto is responsible for Underwriting and measuring risk exposure and determining the premium that needs to be charged to insure that risk. Writing business that will make the insurance company money, and to protect the company’s book of business from risks that will make a loss.
- Analyzing risk associated with insuring real estate transactions based on parameters defined by the Company
- Responding to customer and internal inquiries and questions related to underwriting issues arising on residential and commercial transactions and advising as to the real estate process and title insurance coverage in Ontario
- Drafting title insurance underwriting clauses and endorsements
- Reviewing transactions flagged for potential real estate fraud
- Handling complex underwriting issues
- Advising on legal developments and their interaction with title insurance coverage
- Other duties as required or assigned
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience practicing real estate law in either private practice, in house or with a regulatory body
- Knowledge of both Residential and Commercial real estate law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to numerous concurrent deadlines
- Ability to adapt readily to a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong computer proficiency with Windows and MS Office
- Title insurance knowledge would be an asset
To pursue this opportunity please forward your cover letter and resume to the HR Department via email (INTLresumes@stewart.com) or alternatively via fax (416) 981-7214. Please make sure you include the position you are applying for and salary expectations in the cover letter.
Stewart Title is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any aspect of the application process, please let us know. We can be reached by:
- Email (INTLresumes@stewart.com)
- Telephone: (416) 307-3300 (please ask to speak to a Human Resources representative)
- Mail: 200 Bay Street, North Tower, Suite 2600, Toronto, ON M5J 2J2
- Fax: (416) 981-7214
Your privacy is important to us. We consider and define Personal Information as any data relating to an individual, whether it relates to his or her private, professional or public life. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details or posts on social media. We only collect, store, use and disclose Personal Information from prospective and current employees for legitimate employment, legal, and business purposes. You can learn more about how we handle and process your personal information in relation to our recruitment process by making a request to our Human Resources department.
Thank you to all applicants for your interest. Please note, only those that are under consideration will be contacted.
Stewart Title Guaranty Company is a leader in the Canadian title insurance industry and is headquartered in Toronto with offices located from coast-to-coast. Best known for its innovative technology systems that enhance the real estate closing process, Stewart Title helps lawyers increase efficiency and decrease costs by offering value-added title insurance products for residential and commercial properties.
At Stewart Title, our motto is magnificent service by inspired professionals. We offer a challenging and team-oriented environment, as well as a competitive salary and complete benefit package.