ONEX - Director, Legal (Fund and Product Formation)January 7, 2022
Onex is a leading investment management firm. Founded in 1984, Onex invests and manages capital on behalf of its shareholders, institutional investors and high net worth clients from around the world. Onex platforms include: Onex Partners, private equity funds focused on larger opportunities in North America and Europe; ONCAP, private equity funds focused on middle market and smaller opportunities in North America; Onex Credit which manages primarily non-investment grade debt; and Gluskin Sheff wealth management services. Onex’ current assets under management are approximately $47 billion, of which close to $8 billion is Onex’ investing capital. With offices in Toronto, New York, New Jersey, Boston and London, the firm is executing strategies for significant short and long-term growth.
Onex is seeking a Director, Legal (Fund and Product Formation) to join its exceptional team in this exciting next phase of the firm’s growth. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Director, Legal will quarterback the legal workstreams on fund formation, structuring and capital raising, working directly with leaders of Onex’ investment platforms and key corporate stakeholders.
- Key advisor on fund formation legal work related to private funds (including limited partnership agreements, side letters, private placement memoranda) and separately managed accounts – from negotiation to post-closing
- Serve as primary internal legal contact for the capital raising team
- Run day-to-day relationship/communications with external legal counsel
- Primary resource for legal review of, and comments on, principal fund documents (with external counsel)
- Develop understanding of key investor relationships to identify common issues, drive consistency across the firm, and support the growth and development of those relationships
- Develop grids of product principal terms for working group input and approval
- Develop and ensure consistency of approach, process, and terms across platforms
- Assist in making fund structure choices including providing analysis and recommendations
- Primary day-to-day responsibility for creation/documentation of ancillary structures
- Coordinate input from the legal team into new fund launches
- 5-8 years’ relevant legal experience including substantial experience in fund formation (including advising on all aspects of fund formation, structuring and capital raising) gained at a major law firm and/or in-house department of an investment management firm
- Familiarity with regulatory environment for US private fund managers and comparable European funds (principally AIFMD) is an asset
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and strong drafting and time management skills
- Strong communication skills and judgement including the ability to present clearly and develop practical solutions
This is an exclusive engagement with STITT + ZOSKY. To learn more about this opportunity, or to apply in confidence, please contact Stacy Zosky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stitt + Zosky focuses on legal recruitment at all levels. Our team has a combined 40 years' experience in legal recruitment and talent management. We work with a range of law firms and companies using our broad network to achieve your professional goals. Let our experience and attention ensure your success.