Legal CounselMarch 15, 2023
Legal Counsel in Halton Region, Canada
Our client is an entrepreneurial and innovative organization, committed to positive change, sustainability and building value.
This is a tremendous opportunity offering a flexible, hybrid model, with 2 days/week in the office, competitive compensation, opportunities for career growth, and a collaborative culture.
Job Description – Legal Counsel
Due to ongoing growth, our client seeks a Legal Counsel to join its high performing team. Working closely with the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will provide legal advice and support to the Legal and HR Teams, as well as various stakeholders.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Support the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to the Legal and HR Team, and at times the Senior Leadership team, and to the organization on a broad range of regulatory and legal areas, directly and in conjunction with external legal counsel.
- Conduct legal research and prepare legal briefs, memoranda and presentations.
- Manage and direct litigation approaches and processes before the courts and tribunals.
- Confer with external counsel and colleagues with specialties in appropriate areas of legal expertise to establish and verify bases for legal proceedings.
- Draft, interpret and/or negotiate contracts, RFP’s, proposals, including the resolving of commercial and strategic impasses.
- Assist with organizing and management of contracts.
- Identify effective solutions to complex problems and align governance, regulatory, compliance and similar functions to strategic drivers.
- Guide and manage compliance matters and the compliance activities of the organization.
- Assist with the organization’s governance framework, ensuring a high level of integrity and efficiency in administration.
- Assist with preparations for Board meetings, preparing and reviewing minutes, notices, and other requirements.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- LL.B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a Canadian Law Society.
- 1-4 years of broad corporate commercial law experience, ideally with experience in privacy and/or real estate law.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with “team player” attitude.
- Self-starter willing to take initiative and roll-up their sleeves to get tasks done.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy, as well as the ability to balance multiple priorities within deadlines.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Bilingual in English/French is an asset.
This is an exclusive search.
The Counsel Network is committed to building a diverse legal community through our inclusive business and recruitment practices. We value diversity of experience, expertise, and background, and strive to eliminate barriers historically encountered by marginalized groups. We recognize that an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce benefits and enriches both the legal profession and the greater community.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
Meaghan Loughry, Recruitment Associate
Visit our job board to view all of our current opportunities.
The Counsel Networkwww.thecounselnetwork.com
The Counsel Network, the most respected, connected and powerful lawyer recruitment firm in Canada, has specialized in providing the Canadian legal market with comprehensive, long-term talent management solutions since 1988. On October 3, 2022, the firm merged with international retained executive search firm Caldwell, bringing together two strong executive search brands with exceptional reputations borne of a true passion for achieving the best results for clients and candidates. Our partners have advised the profession through economic cycles and unprecedented changes in the industry, building careers, firms, law departments and, ultimately, success in the process. Now backed by international resources and reach, we take a team-based approach – ensuring clients find the best talent for their teams and candidates find the best position for their next career move. We believe every client deserves more than a transactional experience with their recruiter. Our passion to deliver the best experience to our clients is what drives us to be experts in our field and is demonstrated by our efforts to continually develop our knowledge of the legal market, build strong relationships within the profession and our communities, and uphold our exceptional track record of successful, long-term placements.