Sr. Legal CounselSeptember 9, 2020
Legal Counsel (Senior) Lawyer Job in the United States
GFL Environmental Inc. (NYSE/TSX: GFL) is the fourth largest diversified environmental services company in North America. Since 2007, GFL has significantly expanded its North American presence through a combination of organic growth and acquisitions. With more than 13,000 employees, GFL features a highly successful and rapidly growing platform, a young entrepreneurial management team, and a strong commitment to further growth.
Job Description – Legal Counsel (Senior) Lawyer
Due to continued expansion in the U.S., GFL is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to provide corporate and commercial legal support to the growth of the business. As the successful candidate, you must be called to the U.S. Bar, have a minimum of six years of broad corporate commercial experience, and exposure to environmental law. Experience working with government agencies would be an asset. You must be a high energy self-starter, a team player with strong interpersonal skills, and a quick study who thrives in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
Most of GFL’s corporate legal team is based in the head office in Toronto, Canada, with additional lawyers located in several U.S. offices. As a result, the role’s base location is flexible. Offering a competitive compensation package, this is an excellent opportunity for a business-minded lawyer seeking to join an entrepreneurial and team-oriented company poised for further success.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and support across a broad range of corporate commercial matters.
- Negotiate, draft, and review complex agreements for various business and functional units.
- Anticipate, assess, and develop solutions to legal issues and risks, and ensure compliance with regulations.
Education and Professional Skills/Knowledge
- B. or J.D. degree (or equivalent).
- Good standing with a U.S. bar jurisdiction.
- 6+ years of broad corporate commercial experience and exposure to environmental law, gained at a top-tier law firm or company.
- Excellent technical and drafting skills, and exceptional work ethic.
- High energy self-starter, team player with strong interpersonal skills, and quick study who thrives in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Experience working with governmental agencies, particularly in the context of governmental and community relations for regulated facilities, would be considered assets.
This is an exclusive search.
For more information or to apply for this position, contact:
When you choose to work with The Counsel Network, you are aligning with Canada's most powerful, respected, connected and trusted lawyer recruitment firm. Our recruiters possess an unparalleled knowledge of the legal market and provide our clients with robust, compelling and always current analyses empowering them to make decisions based on their business objectives and recruitment needs. Our success in the Canadian market is rooted in our passion, our talent, and our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. We have earned our reputation of outstanding service and professionalism.