Director, Equality, Diversity & InclusionSeptember 22, 2021
The Firm is creating this position approximately one year after commencing a multi-faceted set of EDI initiatives involving strategic planning, policy revisions, hiring procedures, quantitative and qualitative surveying, internal and external communications, affinity groups and recognition of milestone events. With this experience, the Firm has decided to take the next step in hiring an experienced, innovative, skilled leader and advocate of EDI initiatives to enhance a respectful and productive work environment and our place in the legal profession.
The Director Equality, Diversity & Inclusion (“Director, EDI”) will create, support, manage and implement equality, diversity and inclusion strategies and programs within the Firm. The role reports to the Management Committee of the Firm.
The ideal candidate for this position will have prior training and/or related experience, particularly in the creation, implementation and support of equity, diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives. In addition, the Director, EDI must have a proven track record of project management and the ability to drive programs that support the organization’s workforce EDI initiatives, particularly with respect to the entry, retention and advancement of excellent professional, administrative and support staff. The candidate should possess strong analytical skills and the ability to translate metrics, research, and trends into policy and strategy. In addition to an ability to build and maintain positive external relationships, the Director, EDI must be a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills. Having experience in the professional services industry, particularly the legal profession, is also an asset.
- Lead the development of a long term vision and strategy that champions the importance and value of a diverse and inclusive environment that infuses all aspects of the Firm.
- Engage Firm members to build a welcoming and inclusive Firm culture.
- Work collaboratively with our Management Committee and Business Services teams and lawyers to assess potential barriers and develop strategies focused on recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce.
- Serve as subject matter expert to create a strategic action plan to assist our Talent and Professional Resources teams to attract, develop, retain and advance diverse talent by analyzing and presenting talent demographics, monitoring data trends and developing diversity initiatives.
- Monitor and report on diversity and inclusion topics and initiatives within the Firm.
- Work with senior leadership to design and implement Firm-wide or more targeted changes to ensure diversity, equality and respect for all Firm members.
- Identify areas of opportunity, develop recommended courses of action, secure senior leadership approval and drives implementation.
- Act as the resource for RFPs and client-related requests.
- Develop communications to regularly apprise internal and external stakeholders of the Firm’s equality, diversity and inclusion initiatives, events and progress.
- Propose and develop educational and training programming related to equality, diversity and inclusion, in areas such as cultural competency, unconscious bias, human rights principles, hiring, evaluation and promotion strategies and barrier-free policies and practices
- Proactively build new and existing sponsorship and membership relationships, analyze return on investment of those portfolios, and collaborate with key stakeholders across the Firm and in the profession to drive initiatives forward.
- Work with the Firm’s Talent, Human Resources and other staff in carrying out a full and thorough review of the firm’s key policies ensuring our desire to enhance EDI is at the forefront of our decisions.
- Chair or co-chair the Firm’s EDI Committee, consisting of professional, administrative and support staff at all levels of the Firm
- Manage the budget related to D&I initiatives.
- A bachelor’s degree and training and/or experience in EDI issues
- A background in professional services, law, business or human resources
- Experience working in a senior position within an organization with proven, progressive experience and demonstrated effectiveness leading EDI related initiatives and programs
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and interface effectively with all levels of the organization and outside stakeholders
- Project management skills with a demonstrated ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Track record of program implementation, strategic planning, and managing projects across multiple important priorities
- Strong operational, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Be a team player
- A strong knowledge of diversity metrics and analytics, and their practical application within an organization
Candidates who meet the above qualifications are asked to apply online with a copy of resume and cover letter attached. Please click here to apply online.
Appropriate accommodations are available, including for applicants with disabilities. If you require an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Amita Bhika, HR Manager at 647-715-3502.
At WeirFoulds, we recognize that we need to advance and to demonstrate equality, diversity, and inclusion in everything we do, internally and externally. We have been working diligently on several key areas, and we recognize that we must do better. Our goal is to put words into concrete action through a number of specific steps. These are described in our official statement on our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, which we are pleased to share. We recognize our obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code, and we welcome applications from members of all communities, including those covered by the Code.
We thank all candidates for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For over 150 years, the lawyers of WeirFoulds have been proud to serve our clients in their most difficult and complex matters. We are the firm of choice for discerning clients within our core areas of practice: (1) Litigation; (2) Corporate; (3) Property; and (4) Government Law. Within these core areas, as well as key sub-specialties, we address highly sophisticated legal challenges. We have acted in some of Canada's most significant mandates and have represented clients in many landmark cases. Reflecting the firm's focus, our lawyers are consistently recognized as leaders in their chosen areas of practice and in the profession at large.