Jayashree Goswami – A Fresh and Informed Voice at ConvocationApril 4, 2019
Jayashree Goswami is Senior Counsel at Intact Financial Corporation, Toronto. She was called to the Bar in 2007 and worked as a litigator at a national law firm on Bay Street for several years before moving in-house.
In addition to her experience as a commercial and insurance litigator, she brings 12 years of hands-on experience in social advocacy, governance and leadership gathered in the course of various volunteer initiatives within and outside the legal community.
Jayashree’s campaign is founded on the principle that meaningful inclusion, without exception, is the bedrock of success in any milieu. If elected, Jayashree will be among the first in-house counsel to be a member of Convocation.
Joint Campaign with Incumbent Bencher Isfahan Merali
Jayashree is part of a unique and collaborative joint campaign with incumbent Bencher, Isfahan Merali. Their campaign based on shared values is a story of partnership, mentorship and sponsorship of women by women. For more information on the joint campaign, please visit www.jayashreegoswami.com and www.isfahanmerali.com.
Vote for Jayashree because:
- She represents a unique cross-section of historically excluded groups whose interests and insight must inform policy at Convocation.
- She has substantial experience and expertise as a community leader and social advocate that equips her to represent and advocate on behalf of traditionally absent voices. (remove “effectively”
- Given her longstanding involvement with the LSO’s Equity Advisory Group, The Access to Justice Group at the LSO, the Treasurer’s Corporate Counsel Roundtable and other LSO committees, she understands how Convocation works.
- As in-house counsel, she is conversant with the principles and workings of good governance and will bring a collaborative, practical and solutions-oriented approach to Convocation.
- If elected, Jayashree will promote inclusion, innovation and efficiency
Critical problems threaten our profession – impediments to access to justice; institutional bias creating a diversity deficit, particularly in positions of influence; the growing epidemic of young lawyers graduating with career-limiting debt; the unconscionable shortage of paid articling positions in Ontario; the historical absence of the indigenous perspective in Canadian law and institutions to name a few. Jayashree is deeply committed to better regulation of the legal profession in the public interest and if elected, will be an informed, empathetic and constructive voice at Convocation.
For more information on Jayashree’s campaign, check out: The Canadian Lawyer, “Corporate Counsel Candidates Bring Diverse Perspective to Election”
“Jayashree Goswami brings a deep commitment to achieving fairness and equality within the legal profession, and has the experience to prove it as former President of the South Asian Bar Association and Chair of the umbrella group of the legal profession’s equality organizations. She also has the perspective of both private and in-house law practice. Having worked with both Jayashree and Isfahan for many years, I believe their knowledge and experience will be important to realizing and implementing the Law Society’s measures on eliminating systemic racism within the professions and on improving the work of the Law Society Tribunal.” – Raj Anand, Bencher, Law Society of Ontario
For more information about Jayashree and her campaign (including her bio, views and endorsements):
- visit her website: www.jayashreegoswami.com
- follow her on Twitter at @jay_ashree
- follow her or LinkedIn (Jayashree Goswami)
- or contact her directly at email@example.com
Jayashree Goswami is running for Law Society Bencher.
University of Ottawa
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice