Steven Kennedy Joins Cassels BrockJune 13, 2012
Steven is an associate in our Intellectual Property Group. He has experience in all areas of intellectual property including trade-mark, copyright, and patent law. Stevens practice focuses on trade-mark and copyright law, where he works with rights holders and brand owners to secure and enforce their intellectual property rights in Canada and abroad. He has appeared before the Federal and Ontario courts as well as administrative tribunals, including his recent work as co-counsel to the Siloxane D5 Board of Review.
Steven’s experience includes:
- Prosecuting trade-mark applications before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office as a registered Trade-mark Agent
- Assisting with trade-mark oppositions and cancellation proceedings before the Federal Court and Trade-marks Opposition Board
- Providing opinions to clients on trade-mark availability and registrability as well as patentability and freedom to operate
- Assisting in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications
- Acting as litigation counsel in patent, trade-mark, regulatory, and commercial actions in the Ontario and Federal Courts
Steven served on the Executive of the Ottawa Law Review as Candidate Coordinator and Senior Editor. He graduated from the University of Ottawa Faculty of Common Law, cum laude, in 2008 and holds a B.Sc. in Physics from McGill University. He was called to the bar in Ontario in 2009. An avid actor, Steven was an active member of the County of Carleton Law Association’s Lawyer Play Committee and helped organize, and participated in, annual theatrical productions with members of the Ottawa bar for charity. He also has a number of publications in the Advocates’ Quarterly, Canadian Intellectual Property Review, and Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada journals.
Steven joined Cassels Brock from an intellectual property and commercial litigation practice at a large, national firm in Ottawa.
- Steven Kennedy, isoHunt Faces a Torrent of Litigation (2011-12), 11 Internet & E-Com. L. Can. 74-76
- Carole J. Brown & Steven Kennedy, Changing the Rules of the Game: Rewinding the First Ten Months of the New Rules of Civil Procedure (2011), 37 Adv. Q. 443
- Kevin L. LaRoche & Steven Kennedy, "Client Conflict Rules and Intellectual Property Practice in Canada " (2009), 24 C.I.P.R. 405
- Contributing Author: Biotechnology & Chemical Patent Practice in Canada (November 2011)
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2008
B.Sc., McGill University, 2004
Registered Trade-Mark Agent
Call to the bar
Canadian Bar Association
International Trademark Association
Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
Ontario Bar Association
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLPhttp://www.cassels.com
Cassels is a Canadian law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of the country's most dynamic business sectors.
Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP
University of Ottawa
Year Of Call
Area Of Practice